Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Summer in the City

In April, Canon Andrew White, "The Vicar of Baghdad,"  spoke at my school. Canon White told students to "take risks, not take care." Specifically, we were told to take risks in our ministry to others and in giving everything. Around this same time, I was in the process of interviewing for summer jobs and internships. There was one opportunity that stood out to me, and that I was willing to do just about anything to get. It was a risky step for me to apply for this particular internship, as it is much different than anything I have ever done before.

Not long after I heard Canon White speak, I was offered my summer internship with an inner city ministry. I will be a missions intern, working with church groups and leading them through poverty simulations, service projects, street evangelism, and a weekend day camp for kids in the community. I will also have occasional opportunities to work with a nurse practitioner to create health education programs for the monthly free clinic that the organization runs.

I am thrilled about the opportunities I have with this internship. I get to live in a new city, meet new people, and try many new things. One the other hand, I will also have the opportunity to do some of the things I feel most capable and confident in: communicating with groups of people, planning/leading events, and creating educational/promotional health programs. I am excited that I get to use skills that I feel confident in, but in a setting that is new and unfamiliar to me. I think it will be a really great opportunity to continue improving these skills, but also learn brand new skills and gain new insights/perspectives from others.

Tomorrow, I make the move to Milwaukee and start my internship. It is exciting and terrifying all at the same time. It is definitely a good terrifying, though- maybe it is more of a feeling of "exhilaration." 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." I feel like this is absolutely true in my life right now. I am so excited about what this summer will bring, and although it is new and slightly intimidating, I feel powerful and ready to take on whatever comes my way, no matter the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment