Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Doing What You Love and Experiencing the Wisconsin Life

I have successfully written only two blog posts since starting my internship. It's not that I've forgotten to blog, or I've become a workaholic at this job. It is true that I work a lot, but not because I feel I have to. It's more like I work because I absolutely love what I am doing. I am gaining so much valuable leadership experience and getting an amazing inside look at the world of non-profits.

Dozens of grants that were organized today.
Today I spent the majority of the day sorting paperwork pertaining to past grants that my organization has applied for. To most, it may seem like a menial, tedious task. I, however, am really interested in how non-profit organizations work, particularly how they get funded. In high school, I had the opportunity to write a grant proposal for a non-profit in my English class. It was definitely hard work, but it was rewarding in the end. After having the experience of writing and presenting a grant to a committee, and now working for a non-profit, I have a much better understanding of the necessity of grants and how they get put to use once awarded to an organization. Grants fund a vast majority of our programming here at City on a Hill, from our health clinic to our youth center. Without them, this organization just wouldn't be able to function, and I certainly wouldn't be here in Milwaukee right now.

Speaking of Milwaukee, this summer hasn't been all work and no play. "MKE" is an amazing place to be in the summer, and I am enjoying every spare moment that I have here. I have gotten the chance to explore downtown, with incredible, beautiful architecture, spend hours on end in delicious local coffee shops, and of course, wander the beach at Lake Michigan. The City of Festivals is lively, with something new to do every weekend. This weekend, I am considering checking out "Festa Italiana." I also am headed to Refuge Smoothies at some point this week with the other intern. We are both really excited to try the "Diane de la Santos" smoothie, which is named after City on a Hill's executive director.

Yes, Milwaukee is great. I love living here, and I love having an amazing job here for the summer. However, it is also starting to sink in that this incredible summer is almost over. Three out of the four missions teams have come and gone, and I am already in my final few weeks here at City on a Hill. I will be sad to go, but great things are yet to come for this next school year. I am getting so excited to head up North for leadership training with Student Government! And yes, I can officially say that I now know what "up North" really means, in Wisconsin terms. I also know what a "bubbler" is now. If there's anything I can take away from my time in Wisconsin, it is probably that. Oh, and that cheese, the Packers, and the Brewers pretty much are life.

No comments:

Post a Comment